Thursday, June 26, 2008

Soliciting for Jesus?



















So, Hannah and I started our morning passing our fliers for the LST program in Buenos Aires this summer. Needless to say I hate to pass out fliers, and those of you who know me well, know that I quit Girl Scouts once upon a time cause I could not muster up enough confidence to solicit people to buy cookies....and that was cookies! However, this summer is all about growth in ministry, so out Hannah and I went and at the end of 2 hours, we had a dozen funny stories and had passed out over 200 fliers. I feel pretty successful about that...too bad there is about 2000 more to go!

Then we went to the downtown area of BA and saw the petitioning for better food trading conditions. The park by the congressional building looked like a fair, with banners and booths everywhere.

Then we went to Plaza de Mayo and saw the grandmothers march around the circle (they do this every Thursday) and demand to know more about where their missing grandkids are from the war (a war a long time ago, not to be confused with the current one). It was really interesting to hear the history of this place and see the dedication of these old women every Thursday.

Then we had our second LST session with out student Gisela. I have only known her a day and already I love her. People here have such a strong desire to learn and never do they appear to be lazy. On the contrary, they are so motivated and are not afraid to make mistakes with the language. How inspiring that is....especially considering everyday I live in fear of saying the wrong thing in Spanish.

Then we went straight to our Spanish lesson which was a lot of fun and gave us about an hour and a half of forced speaking time. I am really seeing an improvement already and we have only been going to her for about 5 times. But seriously, don't expect fluency when I get back, cause it's not gonna happen!

Then we went to our Thursday night Spanish speaking bible study and for the first time since I have been here, I really felt that I understood what was going on. It was a really deep discussion on baptism and its importance, and a lot the questions raised are still on my heart and will be for a while I think. I am really starting to see the pressure for growth in my life right now, and how God is calling me to draw near to him for the answers. I have learned a lot already about spiritual discipline and really making your beliefs become who you are in your core being. I want to have my beliefs and know exactly why, not just because I feel that way or my community has taught it to me, but because I have doctrine to back it up. This is my challenge, admitting that sometimes I might be wrong and finding the strength to withstand people when I am right.

Today was good, everyday is good. Everyday I laugh and when I do, I think of my Polish friend Mike who comes to our Wed night group. When Mike laughs and people ask him why he is laughing, he just smiles and says, "Why not?"

Peace. Love. Reir (to laugh).

1 comment:

Spencer said...

I like the new posts. I can't wait to hear more about everything!