Monday, June 23, 2008

Hospital parte dos...






So, it seems that Hannah and I cannot stay away from the hospital...just kidding, but seriously! This morning I went to Hospital Britanico, yes, a British hospital in South America! I went, don't worry mom, because I donated blood for a woman in the church who needs an operation. Evidently, to get the operation she needed four donors, and since I have the universal blood-type, I volunteered. So, needless to say, it was yet another experience to journal about.

Among the highlights was the fact that they had me drink cafe both before and after the blood draining process. Which, I will have to say, contradicts everything U.S. doctors say about drinking caffeine during blood donation. So there I was sitting in the room with a needle in one arm and drinking coffee with the other. It was a little skewed looking, but hey, I was there for the BA hospital experience.

I will say though, that they were very nice and after the donation process they require a mandatory meal, free of charge, at their basement cafeteria. So, once I rode the elevator up and down five times to figure out the lady described all in Spanish, I found the cafe. As I walked into the cafe, with my second cup of coffee and lunch tray, I notice I am about to eat with all the Hospital staff members. So, I sit down and watch water drip from the ceiling to the floor from an apparent leak, and wait for Osvaldo who gave blood after me and was still upstairs. As I was eating and feeling awkward, I was reminded of home because above me hung a banner that said, "Central de Restaurants" and the word "Aramark!" So, there I was, in the middle of South America in a British hospital giving blood and drinking coffee, thinking that ACU was not that far away and neither was its sick food. I will have to say though, that the Aramark in BA is a lot better than its Abilene partner. Maybe it' s just ACU...

The rest of the day looked up because after the blood donation, which was really easy and the hospital was really very nice, because we went to La Boca which is a fabulous town that has tons of bright colored buildings and beautiful shops. Hannah and I went souvenir crazy and checked off a long list of things we needed to get for people. Poor Osvaldo, I don't think he wants to go shopping again anytime soon. We did get to have a really nice lunch and watch a tango show. Then the dancers asked us if we would like to try and so we danced with a tango man (what are they called anyway?) and learned a few basic steps. It was really funny!!

Then we came home and decided to take a rest. This weekend has been long, but really rewarding. I am feeling a purpose here in BA, moreso than when I first started. God is faithful in finding work for us, if we only ask. I am so blessed by this experience, and I am so excited about the prospect of five more weeks of adventure. The people here are truly family, and I look forward to each new day with them. God is challenging me to think differently and teaching me some religious tolerance. I come from a liberal Christian background ( I have only begun to realize this after experiencing what conservative is) and I am learning what it means to be a conservative Christian. There are a lot of things that I like and am trying to put some of those habits into my life. I think that there is always room for spiritual growth and for that I am grateful.

God is here and is working I know, whether it is in me giving blood or having a conversation with a friend at the dinner table, God is active.

Thanks for your continued prayers.

Peace.Love.Dulce de Leche.

1 comment:

Spencer said...

I can't believe you donated blood! That's awesome! Y'all are crazy! I like the pictures!!

Have you eaten ñoquis yet??