Saturday, June 7, 2008

Freshly painted bathrooms y Subte acrobatics?



Who would have thought that by the end of the day I would have been wearing white paint on my hoodie while eating Argentenatta pizza (thanks Spencer) and then doing flips on the subway handle bars.....what a night!

The day started with some fun sight-seeing and two rounds of coffee. Since it was Saturday, we were less busy with cell groups and bible studies, so we decided to go out and see parts of Buenos Aires. Marisa took us to the graveyard which I was not so thrilled about seeing. Well once we got there I was astonished. It was like one of those grave places where its above ground and everyone get put in with their family (surely someone reading this knows what I am talking about). Regardless, it was the place where Evita and many other important Argentinian people were buried. It was so beautiful, every gravesight was a piece of artwork. Not to mention, and I did not think I would ever say this but, it was very peaceful and gave me time to really appreciate both life and death. Creepy I know, but it's true. 

After we looked at the gravesight, we also saw a cool sculpture designed by an Italian architect and an old monestary that is still used as a church today. It was beautiful and gave me a moment to spend in awe of God...once again, a moment with the Lord in an unexpected place.

Then Hannah and I came back home and met our new Spanish tutor.....that's right, we have a private tutor. She was so great, and we are really excited about the progress we will make by the end of the summer.

After that we went to the church for the weekly youth meeting/bible study (don't worry, we got lost again, if you are wondering, the count is 10 on amount of times getting lost) and spent about 2 1/2 hours with the youth discussing the two types of wisdom in James 4. I learned a lot tonight about not taking bible time for granted. These people spent over 2 hours discussing a mere 20 verses or less and could have probably stayed for more. It was amazing to see their passion and their dedication to asking challenging questions. They wanted answers, and although nothing was a clear resolution, they were intent on sharing their opinions and learning from one another. I cannot remember the last time I spent that long discussing a short passage. But I do know that we should all strive to be more like that, and to really engulf in scripture. 

Needless to say we were tired and hungry after the meeting. Which leads me to the beginning of my post. We went for pizza and to watch the soccer game at Argentinatta with some of the youth. It was a lot of fun to be with people relatively our own age (although I did get called old by a 19 year old) and talk. It was a great end to a wonderful day, including the trip to the bathroom where the guy neglected to tell me that a door was still wet. I could have felt bad about it, except another girl did it right after me. We decided to make it a photo opportunity instead of getting upset. 

Then as we were going home, we enjoyed practicing backflips on the subway hand bars. They resemble gymnastic rings, and needless to say, we all had to try. It was a great way to spend a day, and a wonderful group of people to share it with. 

Me amo Argentina!

2 comments:

Katelyn said...

it sounds like you're having so much fun!!! i'm super jealous! i miss you!

linda bradford said...

valerie... this is your aunt linda here. wow. i love reading your stories. keep them coming. i love you and texas misses you, but you are having the journey of a life time. tip o the day... always tuck your shirt into your pants b4 you do flips on those ring things on the "subte?".