Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Hannah, IT IS GOING TO BE OK!

I would venture to say that everyday is an adventure here in BA, but yesterday might have topped the charts so far. I would like to say that it all started with a little gate that should have been closed, but really it all started with Hannah and I not paying attention as usual!

So, Hannah and I left the youth meeting early last night (around 8:15) so that we could go home and get things done and try to go to bed early. We have had a really crazy week with every minute scheduled, and thought it would be nice to get some extra rest. So as we went to the Subte, which we do a lot, and got on the tren, we did not think that it was possible to mess it up (although last week we would have told you we had not quite mastered it yet). Anyway, we started to realize something was off when we got on the old rickety train and no one was on it. It was late at night so I thought for a minute that it might just be slow tonight, but then Hannah confirmed that it was not right and maybe we should get off. So, as I was processing this information, the tren starts moving. Moving, with no one but us on it, and moving with the doors open, not closed, like normal. So, I stick my head out the window in a moment of panic and try to find something that will show us where we are going. Then I make eye contact with some workers that are on the platform, and give them a helpless/frantic look. They shout something inaudible, and onward we go into the dark abyss.

So, Hannah and I sit down and prepare ourselves that we might be going somewhere very wrong, but it will be ok because we will find our way home. Then just as we determine a plan, the tren stops. Not stops at a station, no, stops in the middle of the underground Subte with no light on either side of us. So, here we are, two girls in an old tren with no one in sight and no idea where we are. Sound like a horror movie yet?

So, as Hannah is explaining to me that she feels like is going to throw up and I am tell her "it is going to be ok", we see a man walking toward us. My initial reaction is that he is some crazy murder and we are about to die, so naturally I back up. Hannah tells me to call for help and steps up to the door. Obviously we know who is the tougher one in this situation, I gladly took the lesser of the two roles. So, as I was frantically trying to call Osvaldo and keep one hand on Hannah to make sure she was not getting kidnapped, he jumps into the cart and much to our relief has a nice smile on his face (not a creepy horror movie one)! So, then through broken Spanish and a lot of scared laughter, we realize he is the conductor and that he will lead us back to the platform.

So, long story short, Hannah and I and one short old man walk in the dark around 9 at night on the tracks of a underground subway back to our tren platform. Needless to say it was the best/scariest thing that has happened to on the trip thus far. I have always said that I wanted to walk the tracks of a subway, but in my mind I always thought it would be because of a mechanical error and a bunch of people would be doing it together. This was not exactly how I pictured my wish to come true, but I am happy to say that I can now cross it off my Life List of Things To Do.

This week has been an adventure already. Monday was the Japanese Gardens and a run in with some peaceful protesters, and Tuesday was detailed out above. With or without the crazy side adventures, I am really enjoying my time here in BsAs. We are really starting to develop relationships with some youth here and are busy with planning and attending all kinds of activities and bible studies. God has really blessed us with answering prayers and providing us with a purpose. I am looking forward to the crazy summer ahead.

Thanks for your prayers....maybe some more about public transportation might help!

Peace.Love.Subte travels.

1 comment:

Spencer said...

Ok Val, that's SO funny. I'm sitting here in my bed laughing out loud!

Leave it to y'all two to get into a situation like that!!!

Stay safe.

Besos. Cafe con leche. Medialunas.