Sunday, June 29, 2008

Forty is the new 15!

Today was a fun adventure! I will start from the beginning:

Hannah and I were put in charge of breakfast this morning for the church. When I say that, it does not mean that we had to cook for 200 people, but merely to be responsible for the come and go breakfast before church for a typical crowd of 50. So, Hannah and I woke up this morning prepared to go and purchase an assortment and set everything up in advance. But then the most amazing thing happened...I underestimated the charity and hospitality of the people that live here. Hannah and I woke up to tupperwares full of food ready to go, our host parents had all organized it the night before. Then when we get to the church and set up, we start to consider buying some medialunas, and then Andres shows up. Andres, one of the most humble people I know, came with two bags full of pastries to share with the church. Then soon after that a man came with some bread to share. I know this sounds like not a big deal, but when you think about the "me" attitude so many of us are used to, it was incredible to see such selflessness. This morning started amazing and carried throughout the morning, all the way from helping in kid class during service to assisting in Pre-teen bible class. I love the church in Caballito, and I know that God must be so pleased with the community that is set up!

So, after church we had our second major planned activity of the summer, the Zoo!! It was so much fun. I learned a lesson is planning ahead for any possible scenario though. I daily underestimate the ability for people here to misunderstand information and to run a good hour and a half late everywhere we go (Luke you would never make it here!) So, although we said we would be at the Zoo at 2:30 to meet up with the other local church, we arrived around 3:30. The roughest point happened when trying to coordinate a group of 25 people and explain to them the plan and meeting place in case something went wrong or we were separated. But, when all that was finally explained, it was probably one of my favorite days here so far!

We saw all kinds of animals, even an Alpaca and Camel! It was a big success and I credit all of that to God's faithfulness in using our meager efforts! It was fun to see the two churches unite, and even more fun to watch a youth group ranging from ages 35-14. Yes, here anyone who is single is in the youth group, so just picture me trying to tell a 30 year old man what the plan for the day was. It took creativity, that is for sure!!

The best surprise of the day was one of the adults in the church passing off his 5 year-old boy for the day. It seemed kinda crazy at the time, but going to the zoo with a child is truly the best way to do it! His enthusiasm was so fun to watch and it kept Hannah and I on our toes trying to make sure a group of 25 people was all together and being sure to have one hand on a adventurous 5 year-old. Needless to say, we are worn out!

Then after the Zoo, a small group of us went and got some dinner at Continental pizza house. I told you we ate pizza a lot here, it is true. However, tonight I tried something new. It is called Noquis. Thanks to Spencer Hemphill I took a leap of faith and tried something new. Well, Spence, I liked it. It was for sure not what I expected, but I would most closely compare it to dumplings in a pasta form??!! It was really good, and better was the Mousse Chocolate that Hannah and I shared after. Let's just say that after a long day, we took advantage of some comfort foods.

God is so good and so faithful to our prayers. Duh, he always is!!! Hannah and I were talking last night and we were talking about how we have been here for almost a month. We were discussing how sad it would be if we were having to leave and had not decided to stay for the full two months. Time is flying and we are trying to soak up every minute. We had really started to form relationships with people here, and helping to bring a community of believers closer to together. My hopes by the end of the summer, is to have a group of people that stands solid in the face of hardship, and lifts each other up. I don't think that will be too hard, especially since everyone here is so willing to help each other and give of themselves.

Praise be to God for all that he does....and thank God for silly trips to the zoo where we can be amazed by elephants even when they are smelly and walk hand-in-hand with a 5 year old and a 21 year old. It is through Christ that we can bridge the gaps; I am learning that this summer.

Peace.Love.Red Monkey Butts.

No comments: