Saturday, July 19, 2008

Te amo BA

So, it has been a few days since I have blogged, namely because I got sick yet again! Here is a lil info for anyone considering coming to BA during their winter (i.e. June through August), be prepared for extreme weather changes and bring lots of allergy medicine with you! I have suffered from quite a few allergens here (as has Hannah) and we would suggest taking our advice.

Now, let me see if I can recap you on the last few days:

Thursday we had several LST students. There has been a change in some of the people doing LST and so Hannah and I were asked to help out more on Thursday. So we started our day early and ended it around 5 or so. Even though the day was long it was by far one of my favorite days for this reason: a precious woman named Lily. It was through this woman that I was able to have one of the most real conversations I have had with anyone this summer. With Lily I was able to talk about the Christian faith and how some people tend to interpret scripture differently than others, and thus some are misguided in their thoughts. We talked about her friend who had cancer and how when she died she doubted God's existence. It was just so awesome to have someone I had just met be so honest, I loved talking with her, and I can only hope that God helps to give me the words again next week as we work through the bible lessons together. I was truly blessed by her this week!

Then that night we went to Thomas' house for dinner and had a wonderful meal. Thomas' is known for his great cooking skills and Hannah and I were privileged enough to get to experience them. It was so much fun to have dinner with him and Pedro.

Friday was a day full of fun. We had our LST student, Silvanna, in the morning and then we went straight to the Thomas family's house for lunch and to go to the park. The Thomas' are here for two years, the father works for Firestone, and they come to our Wednesday night group. Hannah and I have become friends with their sons Chris and Phillip and have fallen in love with their nieces, Imani and Nia. So, we went to their house and ate with them and then ventured to the park where we rode a four person bike with six people and went on a pedal boat. It was a beautiful day and double as nice to be with new friends.

Today was our last day to get to play soccer and our last Saturday youth meeting since we have the play next Saturday. It was a very sad realization and one that left Hannah and I with sick feeling stomachs. It has been such an incredible experience to be here and be surrounded by such wonderful people. I am struck by the realization that I really do not want to leave. I wonder though, if it partially because of the dread of coming back to a busy life in the states. I think that many times people love mission work so much because they feel so useful and fulfilled doing it, I wonder if I could bring some of that lifestyle back to the states and begin to live a more fulfilled life there. I know this is truth and should be acted out, it is just finding the perseverance to make change.

Sunday is national Friend's Day, a big day for the culture here. I am so excited (seriously, what am I not excited about?!) to be here with my friends on this day. It is 1 am as I am writing this and I have already gotten text messages telling me Happy Friend's Day. I love it!!!! It makes me think about the lesson Osvaldo gave tonight about friends and what our characteristics our ideal friends have. He challenged us to see Jesus in those characteristics and to show that to other people. I think about all the amazing friends I have been blessed with over the years and I realize that I want to be just as good of a friend to them as they are to me. What a great thing to strive for!!

In closing, Hannah and I played soccer tonight hardcore. Hannah made two goals (her and her buddy Christian) and I tried my best to play some hardcore defending. At one point I was blocking and fell to the court in splits position, I know I will be feeling that tomorrow!! But, alas, it was a great end to our Futbol season in Argentina!!

Peace.Love.El Dia de Amigos.

1 comment:

Spencer said...

I'm just not getting aroudn to reading this post! I love friends' day and I even got some emails and facebook posts this year for it!!

I hope y'all are able to bring back that lifestyle to the USA. It's something people really hunger for in Abilene but it's so hard to find!