Saturday, July 5, 2008

"Hello Gringa"





So, it has been several days since I have last blogged. I would like to say that it is because I was so unfathomably busy that there was just no time to breathe, much less update you. However, that is a slight exaggeration, and a more accurate account would be that I am sick and therefore did not feel like exerting more energy than necessary. So let me fill you in on the highlights of the last few days!!

Wednesday of this week, Hannah and I were fortunate enough to visit the one and only Starbucks in Argentina, located about 20 minutes from our house!! We have seen it before, but the line is always out the door and so not worth waiting in line for. However, we went in the morning having decided to buy mugs that say Starbucks Argentina on them. When we got there, much to our surprise, there was no line. So, of course we got some coffee and sat down and enjoyed the FREE WiFi there. (side note: the U.S. Starbucks do not have free WiFi and I would just like to say that if BA can make it free, so can they!) There we sat down and enjoyed some vanilla lattes and talked about our game plan for the week.

After that we went to a mall in search of something to wear and a present for Debbie's Quince on Friday. And, of course, regardless of what city we are in, Hannah and I are always successful shoppers.....ALWAYS!

Thursday was a day of decorating and helping prepare for the big party.

Friday we had the Quince and it was a lot of fun. We learned some of the traditional things that are done, and then we participated in teaching some Argentine's the "country electric slide!" It was so funny to watch the crowd try and mimic Hannah and I's moves. For sure a moment I won't forget while in BA. Other than that, my favorite moment of the night was when we watched fireworks from the park across the street in celebration of Debbie's birthday. How convenient it was that Hannah and I got to see fireworks on JULY 4!! However, it could have been a little inconvenient for the adults in charge when the cops came a few minutes after saying that "gun-shots" were reported. HAHA, what a funny moment that was to watch....of course I stayed appropriate and kept my laughter in until later. The party lasted from 10 pm to 7 am. Although, Hannah and I opted for an early bedtime around 4:30 am.

Saturday, which is today, we got up around 12 to go to the LST farewell pizza party. Today was the first time that Hannah and I realized just how close it is before we leave. We leave in four weeks from today, and I dont think either of us are ready for that!! But, we said bye to Pat, Les, and Ruth and welcomed the new LST teachers. It was fun to sit down and share a meal for all the students at once, because normally we only see them segmented or one at a time.

The highlight of the week for me was witnessing Andres' baptism on Friday night before the Quince. It was an amazing experience to see a guy, close to my age, who has studied and prayed for so long about the decision. Hannah and I are blessed to know Andres through our Wednesday night cell group and then have started hanging out with him occasionally outside of group. It was the best hug I have received all summer (granted one of the few since people seem to only kiss here) when he came out of the baptistry with a huge grin on his face. I am so happy to have him as a brother in Christ, and I was blessed to witness such an event.

God has been teaching me a lot about perseverance in relationships and anything worthwhile takes a lot of work. God is there in the small things and uses us in those instances to leave a huge impact. God has been so good to me by forming such solid relationships here, ones that withstand language barriers and are built on laughs, crys, and silence. I can truly say that I am IN LOVE with BA and would rather be nowhere else. This week was crazy, but God pushed us through it and led us to a point of peace.

Tomorrow is Sunday which always proves to be a busy day. I have been reflecting on the verse about the story of Esther and "for such a time as this." As I diligently look to make my plans for after I get back from this Summer, I recognize that God has placed me in the here and now, and for no other reason than to exist here with HIM. My prayer, daily, is to be used for "such a place as this." Thanks for supporting me in that!!

Peace. Love. Pedro's dad called Hannah and I "gringas."

1 comment:

Sallie said...

I caught up on your blog today. I love reading about the experiences you and Hannah are having. What an amazing summer of spiritual growth, huh? It seems to be so much more than you were even expecting! Keep up the great work. Glad you are feeling better.
Love,

Sallie